Southwestern Taco Egg Muffins are a protein filled muffin that is kid-friendly, easy to make and is a quick breakfast or lunch during the week. With eggs, ground beef, cheese, spinach, bell pepper and Southwestern spices you will have a nutritions, flavor-packed meal.
Since we are on that back to school theme these days I wanted to share a quick and easy lunch recipe that is kid and adult friendly. I really like these Southwestern Taco Egg Muffins because they can be prepared in under 10 minutes, and the rest of the time these little muffins bake away in the oven. From this recipe you get 18 Southwestern Taco Egg Muffins which gives you enough to have throughout the week and even freeze some for later.
Freezer tip: wrap these muffins individually in plastic wrap and throw them in a large ziplock bag or a tupperware container and freeze them. Once you are ready to eat them remove from the freezer, take off the plastic wrap and microwave them for a one to two minutes, until warm.
Another reason these Southwestern Taco Egg Muffins are high up on my list to make for the week is that they are packed with protein from the eggs and the ground beef. This helps your kids feel full and gives them energy throughout their day, especially if they are involved in after school activities or sports.
If your family likes tacos and Southwestern style food then these will be a hit in your house. The eggs are mixed with cheese, ground beef, bell pepper, spinach, green onions and Southwestern spices. These are also easily modified to fit your families tastes and can be different every time you make them.
Here are some ways you can modify these muffins:
- Add more or less spices depending on your tastes
- Add 1/4 cup fresh or canned corn
- Throw in 1/4 cup black beans for additional protein
- Mix up the cheeses and try something like pepper jack or monterey jack cheese
- Add diced or fresh tomatoes
Today’s Southwestern Taco Egg Muffins are sponsored by the Ohio Beef Council . Did you know that in Ohio this school year, thousands of families across Ohio will buy beef? Ohioans spend $4.1 billion each year on beef, which is a healthy, high-quality protein choice. A 3-ounce serving of beef (about the size of an iPhone) provides more than 10 essential nutrients and half the daily recommended value of protein for less than 150 calories. I like that!
Here are a few interesting facts about beef provided by my friends at the Ohio Beef Council:
- Protein helps keep kids full and focused during the school day, and the B vitamins in beef provide students with energy to do their best. Protein is also one of the most satisfying nutrients, so it helps control snacking throughout the day.
- Lean beef is an important part of a healthy diet for kids. Research shows that including lean beef daily as part of a healthy diet can help lower cholesterol levels, and exercise is more effective when paired with a high-protein diet.
- For student athletes and active kids, there is no better choice than beef. The protein in beef helps build muscle and strong bodies.
Check out what my fellow bloggers recipes for the Pack a Protein Punch for Lunch recipe exchange:
Jelly Toast: Beef Breakfast Sausage
Tastes of Lizzy T’s: Homemade Italian Meatballs
Lemons for Lulu: Mini Taco Hand Pies
Share your creations with me and tag #acedarspoon on Instagram if you make any of my recipes. I love to see what you guys are loving.
Don’t miss a recipe! Sign up for my newsletter by clicking here and get free recipes delivered straight to your kitchen. You can also find me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google + and Instagram.
There are 17,000 beef farming families in Ohio, who are committed to providing excellent care of their animals, protecting the environment for future generations and to producing safe, healthy beef. Meet Ohio beef farmers who may live near you at www.OhioBeef.org.
Today’s post is sponsored by the Ohio Beef Council. As always my thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands and products that make A Cedar Spoon possible.