Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup is a twist on classic tomato soup that adds spinach, orzo pasta and vegetables to create a flavorful, nutritious and comforting fall soup that the whole family will love. Pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping!
TOMATO SPINACH ORZO SOUP
Today’s Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup makes provides me with that needed comfort as the cold months roll in. I have been turning to comfort food a lot lately and not just because of the cold weather. I think it also has to do with the fact that we have decided to move to Cleveland which means selling a house!
Don’t get me wrong I am very excited to be moving to Cleveland and have my family closer to me but selling a house is a stressful adventure. For those that have gone through it you know what I am talking about. The first two weeks that our house was listed we had 20 showings.
Now keep in mind that I have two small children. Boys. Messy, energetic boys. I feel like my life now consists of me running around picking up after them constantly so that if we have a last minute showing my house is in order.
The process has been a bit frustrating at times to say the least. For example on several occasions realtors have showed up to their showings late. With two small children my life is pretty scheduled, especially at bed time. Drew goes to bed around 7:30 and the routine is bath, story and bottle.
We had a showing from 7-7:30 one night. When 7:45 rolled around we went home and started bath time. Bath time usually means clothes thrown everywhere and kids splashing and playing in the bathtub. Well on this particular night the realtor decided to show up late…during bath time. The doorbell rang and Mike and I looked at each other in pure panic. Mike answered the door and the realtor asked if they could see the house even though it was later then expected. This all happened with Will running around upstairs without any clothes on. It was quite the show!
Needless to say comfort food has been high on my list lately. Soups have always offered me that right amount of comfort while not filling me up too much. This Tomato Spinach Orzo Soup does just that.
One of my favorite things about this soup is the orzo pasta. love how small the pasta is. It doesn’t overpower the soup or soup up the juices if you eat it a few days later. If you are looking for a little bit of comfort I suggest you make this soup, a grilled cheese and start dipping away.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1-28 oz can of whole tomatoes (or use 2-15oz cans of whole tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil (or 1 Tablespoon of fresh basil chopped)
- 8oz spinach, rinsed
- 6oz orzo pasta, cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with fresh basil
- Cook orzo pasta according to package. Run under cold water when done and set aside.
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onion, celery, carrots and garlic until soft and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock, whole tomatoes, oregano, thyme, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes on low.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add orzo pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve warm in soup bowls with fresh basil as a garnish and grilled cheese for dipping.
You can use vegetable or chicken broth for this soup.