Slow Cooker Taco Soup is a comforting soup that will warm you up on a cold night or is a great freezer friendly dish. Put it in the slow cooker and forget about it while you go about your day. Garnish with your favorite taco toppings!
We are about a month into having two kids under the age of three. Yes, we are surviving!! And by surviving I mean drinking a whole lot of coffee. Another thing that has helped me through the tired, sleepless days? My slow cooker! That kitchen helper that cooks while you go about your day and has dinner waiting for you when you are ready to eat. You really can’t beat that.
Put everything in that bad boy, go about your day and come back to dinner! Slow Cooker Taco Soup is an easy soup to throw together that the whole family will love. You can modify this soup to your family’s tastes. Ground turkey or ground beef and any garnishes you fancy. We load lots of cheese, green onion, a bit of avocado and cilantro on ours. The best part of these types of soup is everyone can load it up with their favorite toppings.
This is also one of the freezer friendly meals I made before Drew came! It is so nice to have something yummy like this waiting for us and just requires a little reheating. Slow Cooker Taco Soup freezes really well too!
Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-10 oz can Rotel
- 2-15 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (or 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes)
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream
- In a large skillet brown meat over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat.
- In a 5-quart or larger slow cooker combine all ingredients. Cook on High for 4-6 hours.
- To freeze:
- Let soup cool completely and divide into portions using freezer friendly containers or ziplock bags. Chill in the refrigerator before freezing.
- To thaw:
- Thaw soup in the refrigerator the day before you want to eat it. Reheat in a saucepan until heated through stirring to combine.
- Serve immediately with garnishes of your choice.
Recipe adapted from Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead & Freeze Cookbook