If you ever had baklava around the holidays you probably know how delicious it is. Come see How to Make Baklava and impress all of your holiday guests.
HOW TO MAKE BAKLAVA.
Traditional Baklava is a family favorite around the holidays. I am here to show you How to Make Baklava. This Lebanese recipe takes a little time and effort, but it is so worth it! I grew up eating this at the holidays and the work you put into making it pays off.
My sister and Mom promised to teach me how to make this Lebanese traditional dessert over the holidays. It ended up being my sister and my Grandma that taught me–and it was so fun to make.
I have been wanting to learn how to make this for years & finally sat down and learned. I have a feeling this will become a yearly tradition!
Baklava has always been a must have at the holidays in our family but I could eat it any time during the year!
My Mom and sisters always make multiple batches for family, friends & co-workers. It is a HUGE hit! If you want instant friends–this is your answer! People love, love this stuff.
I am not saying it is healthy for you, but it is so delicious.
You will need a nice space to make baklava. Make sure to put something down on the table that you don’t care if it gets dirty. The butter tends to splash and stain things.
You will also need a big pastry brush, fillo dough and a baking sheet. The size of the baking sheets depends on the length of phyllo dough that you buy.
Some is smaller and some larger–so use whatever sheet fits it.
A little bit of hard work and this is your final product!
Please ask questions if you have any about the process of making baklava–it can be a little time consuming and tricky but well worth it.
I hope you love it and I hope it becomes a family favorite.
- 2 lbs fillo dough (18-20 sheets per lb.)
- 1 1/2 lbs unsalted butter, melted
For the Syrup:
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 1 lemon, juiced
For the filling:
- 1 lb ground walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- Preheat over at 350.
- Mix sugar, water and rosewater. Boil together and add lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix ground nuts, sugar, cinnamon and rosewater together in food processor, set aside.
- Brush 14x18 inch baking tray with melted butter. Place pastry sheet (1 piece of fillo dough) on bottom of pan and brush with butter. Repeat until you have piled up half of the fillo dough, each one brushed with butter. Distribute the nut mixture.
- Add second half of fillo dough on top of nut mixture, brushing each sheet with butter.
- With a sharp knife, cut the uncooked tray in diamond shapes, starting lengthwise, about 1 1/2 inches wide, then cut diagonally about 1 1/2 inches.
- Place the pan in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes (the baklava should be golden brown).
- Remove from oven and immediately pour syrup very slowly over the Baklava. Let cool, re-cut and put in small cupcake tins.