If you are looking for a quick meal that can be ready in minutes, my Instant Pot Broccoli Soup is the recipe for you. Broccoli is combined with onion, garlic, broth, cream and cheese to make a deliciously smooth and creamy broccoli and cheese soup. A tasty bowl of homemade vegetable soup in minutes, that’s a winner for me any night of the week.
Want to save this recipe?
Just enter your email & get this recipe sent to your inbox! Plus you'll get new recipes from us every week!
INSTANT POT BROCCOLI SOUP
Soup is easily one of my favorite comfort foods and as well as tasting great, its the ideal of packing more nutrient rich veggies into our diets.
When its cold outside, a hearty bowl of soup warms you from the inside out, and my homemade cream of broccoli soup is one such dish.
As we head into Fall I find that soup appears more regularly on my family meal plan and this Instant Pot broccoli and cheese soup is becoming a firm favorite.
If you love soup as much as I do, then try some of my favorite vegetable soup recipes: Thai Roasted Pumpkin Soup, Lemon Lentil Soup, Vegan Pinto Bean Soup, Moroccan Carrot Red Lentil Soup, Lebanese Lentil Soup and this Vegetable Soup with Cabbage.
If you like broccoli try this Creamy Broccoli Pasta, Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup, Baked Broccoli Cheese Chicken, Broccoli Cheddar Cups, Roasted Broccoli or this Chicken Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE INSTANT POT BROCCOLI SOUP
OIL: Olive oil is always my oil of choice as I love the flavor, but you can substitute with other oils, like vegetable or sunflower oil.
BROCCOLI: I use heads of broccoli and break them into florets when making this soup, you could also use broccolini.
VEGETABLES: Onion and garlic form the base flavors in this soup.
BROTH/STOCK: Vegetable broth add a depth of flavor to the soup. You could use chicken stock for a non vegetarian version. Try making your own with this Homemade Chicken Broth recipe.
HEAVY CREAM: The heavy cream adds a velvety texture to the soup but you can substitute with light cream or low fat creme fraiche.
CHEESE: I like to add ¾ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese to add great depth of flavor to the finished soup.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP IN INSTANT POT
Now add the garlic clove and saute for 30 seconds more or until fragrant. Mix in the broccoli florets and broth and stir to incorporate.
COOK THE SOUP. Close the lid and valve on the Instant Pot and set on high pressure for 5 minutes. Manually release the steam and open the lid and valve.
BLEND THE SOUP. With the help of an immersion blender, puree the broccoli soup until evenly combined and smooth.
FINISH THE SOUP. Finish the soup by adding the heavy cream and mozzarella cheese and stir to incorporate. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately while piping hot.
WAYS TO MODIFY THIS BROCCOLI SOUP RECIPE
- VEGETABLES: I’ve made this soup using broccoli, but you could use the same method with other veggies like cauliflower or carrot. Try adding a handful of spinach to the soup or combining the vegetables, for example broccoli and cauliflower soup is a great tasting soup.
- GARNISH: This soup is delicious as it is, or you can top it with roasted broccoli florets; shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese; or a spoon of sour cream.
- FOR VEGAN INSTANT POT BROCCOLI SOUP: Swap the cream for a can of coconut milk instead, and use a vegan cheese option. Also ensure you use a vegetable broth.
- FOR A GLUTEN FREE CREAM SOUP: Use gluten free vegetable broth.
HOW DO YOU THICKEN BROCCOLI SOUP?
There are a number of ways to thicken soup, one of the most common is to use a roux of butter mixed with flour, or cornstarch. I often add potatoes to my soups to thicken them without the need for flour.
However, in this recipe the heavy cream and shredded cheese help to thicken the soup without the need for adding flour.
CAN YOU USE FROZEN BROCCOLI INSTEAD OF FRESH IN SOUP?
I used fresh broccoli, but you can also use frozen broccoli. Cook the broccoli from frozen, for 10 minutes instead of 5. The end result is really similar and just as delicious.
WHAT’S THE BEST CHEESE FOR SOUP?
The best cheese for melting into soup are mozzarella, cheddar, Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack or Gruyere. These cheeses all have a lower melting temperature so it all comes down to personal taste and which cheese you most enjoy the flavor of.
RECIPE HINT & TIPS
- USE AN IMMERSION BLENDER: For ease I use an immersion blender to blend the soup in minutes. If you don’t have an immersion blender use a regular blender instead to blitz the soup to smooth.
- THIS IS A GREAT MAKE AHEAD SOUP: Make the soup earlier in the day or the day before, then heat up when you are ready to enjoy. Soup often tastes better when left to sit as it allows the flavors in the soup to meld together.
- HOW TO STORE SOUP IN THE FRIDGE: Once cooked and cooled, store the soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- HOW TO STORE SOUP IN THE FREEZER: One cooked and cooled, store the soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper to serve
- Fresh parsley to serve
- Set the instant pot on the sautee setting. Add the olive oil and onion and cook until translucent, around 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic clove and saute for 30 seconds more or until fragrant.
- Mix in the broccoli florets and broth and stir to incorporate. Close the lid and valve and set on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Manually release steam and open the lid and valve.
- With the help of an immersion blender, puree the broccoli until evenly combined.
- Add the heavy cream and cheese and stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm with crushed red pepper, shredded cheese and fresh parsley. This soup is delicious! You can top it with roasted broccoli florets, parmesan cheese or a sour cream dollop.
This soup is delicious! You can top it with roasted broccoli florets, parmesan cheese or a sour cream dollop.
You can also use frozen broccoli. Cook - from frozen - for 10 minutes instead of 5. The end result is really similar and just as delicious.