Creamy Sausage Butternut Squash Pasta is the perfect fall pasta dish of sausage, roasted butternut squash and pasta topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and creamy butternut squash sage sauce.
There is just something about fall that I love, especially the food.
Butternut squash has always been up there as one of my favorite fall foods. I love the sweet flavor and the fact that it is so versatile. It can be used in a salad, soup, side dishes or as a creamy sauce in this Creamy Sausage Butternut Squash Pasta dish. Get your fork ready for this one!
This dish is taken to the next level with a simple creamy butternut squash sauce of pureed roasted butternut squash, sage, garlic and parmesan. The sauce pairs perfectly when drizzled over the sausage, orecchiette pasta and roasted butternut squash.
Oh, and more parmesan of course.
When it comes to pasta dishes I don’t think you need to get complicated to have a fabulous dish. There are two stars in todays recipe: the sausage and the butternut squash which go together nicely.
A lot of pasta dishes use heavy cream, which don’t get me wrong I like, but this creamy butternut squash sauce is just as tasty without the guilt. You can even use this sauce for other things like drizzling over a baked potato (try it, I dare you) or steamed broccoli (think cheese sauce but better). Save your favorite recipes to your personal recipe box with the button on all my recipes! Create a Meal Plan with your “favorited” recipes and the ingredients will automatically be added to your own Grocery List!Print
Creamy Sausage Butternut Squash Pasta is a light fall pasta dish of sausage, roasted butternut squash and pasta topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese and creamy butternut squash sage sauce.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 1 lb.)
- 12 oz Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water (more or less for desired consistency)
- 3/4 lb. orecchiette pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional for a little spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butternut Squash Sauce
- Use 1/2 lb. of the roasted butternut squash
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 3 sage leaves
- 1/4 cup pasta water, reserved
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl mix peeled/cubed butternut squash with 2 Tablespoons olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Roast the butternut squash for 30 minutes, using tongs to stir the butternut squash a few times throughout cooking.
- While the butternut squash is cooking cook the pasta according to package. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and run under cold water. Put in the large mixing bowl once cooled.
- In a large skillet heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and cook sausage, using a wooden spoon to break apart the sausage. When the sausage begins to brown add the garlic and onion and continue to cook until the sausage is browned.
- Add the sausage mixture to the pasta in the large mixing bowl.
- Remove the butternut squash from the oven and divide into two parts putting half with the sausage and pasta mixture.
- In a blender puree the butternut squash, sage, garlic clove, parmesan and 1/4 cup reserved pasta water.
- Pour the butternut squash sauce over the pasta mixture and combine adding more reserved pasta water if needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Sprinkle crushed red pepper, the freshly grated parmesan and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh sage and serve warm.
For more pasta recipes check out my Italia Pinterest board!
Today’s post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm. As always opinions are 100% my own.