Gluten-free chocolate cake is delicious enough, but when topped with coconut-chocolate ganache, this decadent gluten-free cake becomes a dairy-free dessert recipe, too!
Good Morning guys!
You are in for a real treat today! Look at this delicious Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake with Coconut-Chocolate Ganache that Julia from The Roasted Root made for us. This looks so delicious. My mouth was watering when I was looking through her pictures.
Not only is this cake a treat, having Julia from The Roasted Root here today is a treat! Julia’s site is just beautiful and she shares so many wholesome, healthy recipes that are mostly gluten free that are on my list to make. A few of my favorites of hers are her Mango Cashew Chicken, Thai Salad with Curry Coconut Dressing (I love that dressing!), Thai Chicken Soup, Gluten Free Hazelnut Pancakes with Coconut Cream and her long list of seriously yummy smoothies!
Stop by and check out all of her wonderful recipes! I know you will fall in love with her blog as much as I have. Welcome, Julia!
Hello there, Cedar Spooners! I’m Julia from The Roasted Root. What? TWO Julia’s in the house?! What a treat! When Julia asked me to guest post on her lovely site, I was thrilled at the opportunity. I love the healthful food she makes – the girl’s got taste!
Like Julia, I’m all about healthful recipes. I prepare primarily vegetable and meat based meals, and when I bake, it’s always gluten-free recipes. Last week, in preparation for Easter, I baked up this gluten-free chocolate cake (it’s paleo, too!), made with almond meal. I love using almond meal in my gluten-free goods because it adds protein, has a naturally sweet, nutty flavor, and I enjoy the texture.
I topped the cake with coconut-chocolate ganache using full-fat canned coconut milk. While the ganache isn’t refined sugar-free (which means it isn’t paleo), it is dairy free and for that reason, I consider it on the healthy end of the ganache spectrum. I love making sweet sauces using coconut milk in place of dairy, and I figure dark chocolate is a required vitamin in life, so the way I see it, this cake is nothing but great for you! I can have my cake and eat it to? Don’t mind if I do!
If you’re new to gluten-free baking, there’s no need to be intimidated! Also, if you’ve never made ganache, the one in this recipe couldn’t be easier. All things said and done, this cake is healthier than the average slice, easy to bake, and absolutely delicious. Whatever you do, don’t skip out on the coconut-chocolate ganache! It gives a smooth, silky texture to the cake and also adds an immense amount of deep, rich chocolaty flavor!
Many thanks to Julia for having me stop by and I hope you all enjoy the cake!
A couple of things you may need to make this gluten-free chocolate cake recipe:
Note: These are affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links. This helps me keep my kitchen stocked with the ingredients I need to create delicious, healthy recipes for you!Print
For the Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake:
- 2.5 cups almond meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the Coconut-Chocolate Ganache
- 2/3 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1.5 cups dark chocolate chips
- Whole raw unsalted pecans for serving, optional
- *You can replace the raw cacao powder with unsweetened cocoa powder, but the flavor will be slightly different.
To Bake the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil a 9” cake pan
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal, baking powder, instant coffee granules, cacao powder, and salt (the dry ingredients).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract (the wet ingredients).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the oiled cake pan and place it on the center rack in the oven. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake tests clean.
- Allow the cake to cool at least 1 hour before turning it out onto a cutting board and spreading the ganache over it.
- Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. The ganache will set up in the refrigerator and make the cake easy and mess-free to serve.
To Prepare the Ganache:
- While the cake is baking, prepare the coconut-chocolate ganache
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan until just below a boil.
- Pour the hot coconut milk into the bowl with the chocolate chips and stir until completely smooth and the chocolate chips have melted.
- Place in the refrigerator while the cake finishes baking. This will allow the ganache to thicken. Every few minutes, stir the ganache to make sure the consistency stays uniform.
Another delicious gluten-free dessert recipe to try: