My delicious Lamb Croquettes combine ground lamb with grated Parmigiano Reggiano, potato, fresh herbs and warm Mediterranean spices before being coated in breadcrumbs and cooked until crispy. These easy lamb croquettes are a healthy meal that the whole family will love and would also great a great option for Easter!
Want to save this recipe?
Just enter your email & get this recipe sent to your inbox! Plus you'll get new recipes from us every week!
Lamb Croquettes are the perfect weeknight dinner, but would also make the ideal Mediterranean meal for Easter.
You can adapt the portion size and these spicy lamb logs make a great tasting appetizer too.
For my Easy Lamb Croquettes, ground lamb is mixed with mashed potato or leftover roasted potatoes, grated Parmigiano Reggiano, panko bread crumbs, fresh mint and parsley and warm Mediterranean spices.
These Lamb Croquette recipe is a great way of using up leftover roast potatoes or mashed potatoes if you have those in our house.
The mixture is formed into log shaped lamb croquettes and breaded in Panko Breadcrumbs.
I then cook the croquettes first in a skillet until each side is browned, and then finished off in the oven.
You can serve these with a mint sauce or a tzatziki sauce and garnish them with fresh mint and parsley.
These are a nice alternative to a leg of lamb and so easy to make.
These lamb croquettes make a great make-ahead meal that you can meal-prep on Sunday and serve a couple of days later by quickly heating them in the oven.
LAMB CROQUETTES RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- LAMB: I used 1 lb. of ground lamb which gave me 12 lamb croquettes. You can easily double the recipe for a crowd.
- POTATO: You can use leftover roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes to combine with the lamb. It helps keep the lamb mixture together.
- CHEESE: I like using grated Parmigiano Reggiano that is added to the croquette mixture. You can use any grated Parmesan.
- HERBS: I flavor the croquettes with fresh garlic, parsley and mint.
- SEASONING: I season the croquettes with salt, black pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and dried oregano.
- EGGS: The croquettes are dipped in beaten free range eggs which help the breadcrumb coating to stick.
- BREADCRUMBS: I used panko breadcrumbs as they add a great crispy coating. You can use regular breadcrumbs if you want.
- OIL: For flavor I saute the croquettes in olive oil.
- TO SERVE: I serve lamb croquettes with Tzatziki for dipping or a Tahini Sauce.
RECIPE TIPS & MODIFICATIONS
- SWAP THE LAMB: I’ve used ground lamb, but you could use any other ground meat like beef, turkey or chicken. Or swap the ground meat for some shredded cooked meat. It would even work with finely diced veggies, like mushrooms, onion, bell peppers or zucchini.
- SPICES: I have used the warm Mediterranean spices that I enjoy eating, but you can add in any other spices to suit your own tastes.
- POTATO: I’ve bound the croquettes together with mashed potato, but you could also used leftover rice or even some mashed sweet potato.
- MAkE AHEAD: Lamb croquettes are a great meal prep dish. Prep the lamb logs, coat them in breadcrumbs, then saute them. Then allow to cool completely, cover, and store in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, bake the croquettes in a hot oven.
- LEFTOVERS: Store leftover croquettes in an airtight container for 3-4 days. When ready to enjoy heat up in a warm oven.
HOW TO MAKE LAMB CROQUETTES
PREHEAT THE OVEN. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets by spraying nonstick spray on them or using a slip mat and set aside.
PREPARE THE LAMB MIXTURE. In a large bowl mix the ground lamb, roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, Parmigiano Reggiano, garlic, parsley, minute, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and oregano in a large bowl and mix together until everything is combined.
SHAPE THE LAMB LOGS. Divide the lamb mixture into 12 to 14 sections and roll each piece into even-sized log shapes.
Put half of the lamb logs into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes and flip and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and place back on the baking sheet. Repeat this process with the remaining olive oil and lamb logs.
BAKE THE CROQUETTES. Place the baking sheets into the hot oven and cook the lamb croquettes in the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
SERVE THE LAMB CROQUETTES. Once baked, remove the croquettes from the oven and serve with tzatziki sauce or mint sauce. Garnish with fresh mint and parsley.
WHAT IS A CROQUETTE?
Croquettes are oven baked or deep fried balls/logs that are made by combining cooked meat or vegetables, either shredded or combined in a smooth paste. The balls/logs are then coated in egg and breadcrumbs and cooked until crisp.
WHAT ARE CROQUETTES MADE OF?
I’ve filled my lamb croquettes with ground and seasoned lamb and mashed potatoes which I combined with fresh herbs and lots of spices.
However, you can fill a croquette with any cooked shredded or ground meat (ham, pork, beef, lamb, chicken); or vegetables; potatoes or rice.
Then add in any extra ingredients like sauteed garlic, onion, mushroom, etc. Before coating the whole croquette with egg and rolling it in breadcrumbs ready for cooking.
HOW DO YOU KEEP CROQUETTES FROM FALLING APART?
The trick to cooking croquettes is to cook them long enough to warm through, but not too long or they start to become too hot, expand and then fall apart or split.
TRY SOME OF THESE OTHER GREAT TASTING APPETIZERS:
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1/4 cup leftover roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes
- 1/4 grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsps. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsps. fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or regular breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Tzatziki or Tahini sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets by spraying nonstick spray on them or using a slip mat. Set aside.
- Mix the lamb, roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, Parmigiano Reggiano, garlic, parsley, minute, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and oregano in a large bowl and mix together until everything is combined.
- Divide the lamb mixture into 12 to 14 sections and roll each piece into even-sized log shapes.
- Put the egg in a shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Roll the logs in the egg mixture then the breadcrumb mixture and set on the baking sheet.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tbsps. olive oil. Put half of the lamb logs into the skillet and cook for 5 minutes and flip and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and put back on the baking sheet.
- Add the other 2 tbsps. olive oil to the skillet and add the remaining other half of the lamb logs. Cook for 5 minutes per side. Remove and add to the baking sheet.
- Cook the lamb croquettes in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve the lamb with tzatziki sauce or mint sauce. Garnish with fresh mint and parsley.