This Cobb Salad Recipe is great for a large crowd, a family dinner or a dinner party. This cobb salad mixes greens, tomatoes, creamy avocado, sliced hard boiled eggs, blue cheese, shredded chicken, crispy bacon, chickpeas and chives in a red wine vinaigrette dressing. Add in any additional vegetables you like from carrots, to cucumber, to bell peppers, to onions.
COBB SALAD RECIPE
As Easter approaches I think today’s Cobb Salad Recipe would be a side salad for your holiday table.
It is a favorite salad of ours. If you like a classic cobb salad you have to try this version.
This is a hearty, filling salad that is loaded with delicious ingredients.
It makes a really nice salad for a large group because you can serve it on a big platter or in a large bowl and people can create their own cobb salad to their liking.
Today’s Cobb Salad uses most of the traditional ingredients you will find in a cobb salad except chickpeas.
I love adding chickpeas to salad for protein and because they are healthy.
I used this Crunchy Roasted Chickpea recipe to make crispy chickpeas and added those.
You can also just add chickpeas out of the can.
COBB SALAD INGREDIENTS
GREENS: Greens are a great addition to a cobb salad. I used a mixed green but you could do arugula or spinach.
TOMATOES: I like to use cherry tomatoes in my salad. You can also just dice up tomatoes as well.
AVOCADO: Avocado is not only healthy but adds a nice creamy texture to the salad. I try to buy my avocados a few days before serving the salad to let them ripen.
EGGS: Hard boiled eggs are a healthy ingredients that is added to cobb salads. You can make your own hard boiled eggs or buy them pre-made.
MEAT: If you want to add meat to your cobb salad I suggest crispy salty bacon and shredded chicken.
CHEESE: I added blue cheese crumbles to my cobb salad. If that isn’t your thing leave it out, try mozzarella or even something like feta. Get creative!
DRESSING: The cobb salad dressing is a light red wine vinegar dressing. It is not too overpowering but still adds flavor. I also really like a dijon mustard dressing, blue cheese dressing, a dressing with lemon juice or any homemade dressings you like.
CHICKPEAS: Chickpeas aren’t traditionally in cobb salads but you know my love for them runs deep. I love adding them either out of the can or crispy.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE A COBB SALAD WITH?
I think a cobb salad works nicely for a holiday, a big gathering or a main dish for your family.
I love serving it on al large platter so people can serve themselves.
It is nice when you can arrange it on a big platter and let people serve themselves.
Here are some dishes I would serve it with.
For the holidays it would be great served with this Herb Butter Roasted Turkey.
WAYS TO MODIFY THIS COBB SALAD
VEGETABLES: Of course you can add a variety of other vegetables to this salad. I especially like red onion, celery, carrots, radish, bell peppers and green onions.
CHEESE: There is a variety of cheese options that would work nicely in this salad. Try feta, mozzarella or cheddar.
GREENS: Greens are a great way to dress up this salad. Arugula, swiss chard, kale or spinach work nicely.
HERBS: Fresh herbs take this salad to the next level. Try chives, dill, parsley or basil.
- 1 - 6 ounce Package of greens
- 2 cups cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 4 ounce of blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 7-8 slices of bacon, cooked and diced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 cups of regular or crispy chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons honey dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- If you want to add the crispy chickpeas use this recipe here and cook them while you make the salad. Otherwise you can use regular chickpeas too.
- Cook the bacon until crispy and dice when done cooking.
- Shred the rotisserie chicken and dice all the vegetables.
- On a large platter arrange your ingredients starting with chicken and bacon, then the blue cheese, greens, tomatoes, chickpeas and the eggs and avocados on the outer edges.
- In a large mason jar or a salad dressing container mix together the salad dressing ingredients. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the chives on the salad.
- Drizzle the salad dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
Feel free to add whatever vegetables you like.