Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken is an easy way to make a whole chicken with little clean-up. A whole chicken is covered in a spices mixture along with lemon, garlic and onions. This makes a great chicken to shred for a variety of meals or to slices and serve with your favorites sides for the holidays.
INSTANT POT ROTISSERIE CHICKEN
We are almost to Thanksgiving!
This year might look different for some people that are gathering in small groups. I am happy to give you guys options in case you aren’t making a big turkey, like my favorite Herb Butter Roasted Turkey.
If you are looking for a smaller option for your holiday or a weeknight meal today’s Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken is a great option. I love how little clean-up is involved.
The nice thing is that these recipes make a large amount of chicken which leads to leftovers. You can then use the leftovers for all kinds of meals throughout the week including these Easy Chicken Sliders or this Simple Curry Chicken Salad.
INGREDIENTS IN A PRESSURE COOKER WHOLE CHICKEN
WHOLE CHICKEN: For today’s recipe I used a 4 pound whole chicken. If you can find one without the giblets that is great otherwise just remove that from the inside before roasting.
I also like to pat the chicken dry before rubbing the spices mixture on it.
GARLIC & ONION: The onion and garlic in this recipe add a lot of flavor to the chicken.
I like to stuff them both on the inside of the chicken to help infuse that flavor in the chicken. When you do this it helps to really infuse those flavors nicely.
SPICES & HERBS: This recipe uses a mixture of Italian seasoning, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. As with many roasted chicken recipes you can mix up the spices and herbs for whatever your favorites are.
You can also use pre-made rubs and spice mixes which are always a great way to spice up the chicken. I like to use fresh herbs at the end before I am serving to garnish the chicken.
LEMON: Lemon juice adds some acidity to the chicken which helps to tenderize the meat. I like to add the squeezed lemon into the cavity of the chicken for that extra flavor.
BROTH OR WATER: When using a pressure cooker you need to have some liquid in it to prevent burning. You can use either broth or water. The broth is a great option because it will help add flavor.
HOW DO YOU COOK A WHOLE CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
Remove the chicken giblets. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry.
Mix together olive oil, paprika, minced garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a small mixing bowl. Spread spice paste all over the chicken including in the cavity.
Put the lemon slices in the cavity along with the onion and garlic.
Place trivet in the Instant Pot and pour the water or broth along with juice from 1/2 of a lemon into the instant pot.
Place chicken on the trivet breast side up and add in the 2 rosemary sprigs. Close the Instant Pot and set the valve to the seal position.
Pressure cook on high pressure for 25 minutes. When done let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then quickly release the rest of the pressure.
Serve warm with fresh rosemary, parsley and lemon slices.
TIPS FOR COOKING A WHOLE CHICKEN IN AN INSTANT POT
- When it comes to cooking a whole chicken in the pressure cooker make sure you know how much it weighs. This will ensure that you cook it for the correct time based on its weight. The rule of thumb is 6 minutes per pound.
- Allowing the chicken to natural release for 15 minutes helps to keep the chicken tender and let the juices settle.
- If you want a crispy skin you will want to quickly broil the chicken for about 2-3 minutes or use an air fryer lid for the instant pot to broil it in the pressure cooker.
- To cook the whole chicken evenly use a trivet like this one here.
COOK TIMES FOR AN INSTANT POT WHOLE CHICKEN RECIPE
The rule of thumb is 6 minutes per pound of chicken. Here are some of the most commonly used cook times based on weight:
- 3-pound chicken: 18 minutes on high pressure
- 4-pound chicken: 24 minutes on high pressure
- 5-pound chicken: 30 minutes on high pressure
- 6- pound chicken: 36 minutes on high pressure
Once you release the pressure you will want to use a thermometer to make sure your chicken is 165 degrees F.
If it is not then you will want to replace the lid and seal it back up.
Then you will want to cook it on high for 2 minutes per every 5 degrees below 165 degrees that it is. So for example if you chicken is 155 degrees you will want to cook it another 4 minutes.
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH THIS WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE?
BREAD: Crusty bread is also a great pairing for this meal. I like to serve rolls, pita bread or this homemade Artisan Bread.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic coves, minced plus two whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional for a hint of spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 pound whole chicken, washed and patted dry
- 1 lemon, 1/2 juiced and 1/2 cut into quarters
- 1/2 of an onion, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup water or broth, for the instant pot
- 4 sprigs of rosemary, 2 for in the Instant pot and 2 for garnish
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Lemon slices for serving
- Remove the chicken giblets. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry.
- Mix together olive oil, paprika, minced garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a small mixing bowl.
- Spread spice paste all over the chicken including in the cavity.
- Put the lemon slices in the cavity along with the garlic and onion.
- Place trivet in the Instant Pot and pour the water or broth along with juice from 1/2 of a lemon into the instant pot.
- Place chicken on the trivet breast side up and add in the 2 rosemary sprigs.
- Close the Instant Pot and set the valve to the seal position.
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When done let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then quickly release the rest of the pressure.
- If you want a crispy skin then do under the broiler for 5 minutes or crisp using the Instant Pot air fryer lid.
- Serve warm with fresh rosemary, parsley and lemon slices.
You can use different seasoning eg Cajun, Tuscan seasoning, poultry seasoningYou can use a dry rub instead
Add red pepper flakes for heat.
Make sure that a digital read thermometer reads 165 degrees in the thickest part of the chicken.
Store cooked chicken for 3 days in the refrigerator.