Navy Bean Soup is a hearty soup filled with fresh herbs, navy beans, kale or spinach and topped with olives and creamy feta cheese. Add a sprinkling of crushed red pepper for extra spice. This soup is filling, packed with protein and healthy!
NAVY BEAN SOUP
Happy New Year guys!
I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and enjoyed your New Years celebrations. We had a great few weeks filled with family, friends and a lot of really delicious food. I feel like I am kind of in a food coma coming out of all the eating. I can’t complain but as we start 2019 I have to admit I am keeping things very healthy and light in my house.
This Navy Bean and Greens Soup with Feta and Olives is a recipe I have been meaning to share with you guys for some time now. It is the perfect soup to start your year off. It is filled with fresh herbs, healthy greens of your choice, navy beans and topped with olives and feta cheese. When I eat this soup I feel satisfied but it is still light enough that I can have two bowls and feel good about it.
When we recently took a trip to Chicago to visit Mike’s family, my sister-in-law made this soup based on a recipe from Epicurious. I loved the recipe so much when she made it for me that I knew I had to recreate it and adapt it a bit for my tastes.
I am a lover of olives and feta cheese. Until I had this soup I had never thought to put olives and feta cheese in soup, but boy is it magical. Both are salty so the nice thing is you don’t any added salt to this soup and the olives and feta will add the salt for you. When I make this soup I use Castelvetrano olives, which happen to be my favorite.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS SOUP?
This Navy Bean and Greens Soup with Feta and Olives can be easily modified. Here are some ideas:
- You can use whatever beans you like. I enjoy the navy beans but white beans also are really nice in this soup.
- I used kale in my version but you can pick whatever green you have on hand. Try spinach, escarole or chard.
- I love the Castelvetrano olives in this soup. You can omit them if you don’t like olives or use any variety.
- When it comes to cheese, my theory is you can never have too much. I love the creamy, salty feta cheese in this soup. Parmesan cheese would also work great in this soup.
- You will notice there aren’t a lot of vegetables in this soup. If you want to bulk it up more try adding carrots, celery, onion, zucchini, diced tomato or bell pepper in.
This soup has a strong lemon flavor. If you aren't a huge fan of lemon I suggest using half of a lemon and omitting the lemon zest. Try white beans instead of navy beans. I love the fresh herbs in this recipe but you can always sub in dried if you don't have fresh on hand. If you are looking for a cheese other than feta to try, parmesan works nicely.
For the soup
This soup has a strong lemon flavor. If you aren't a huge fan of lemon I suggest using half of a lemon and omitting the lemon zest.
Try white beans instead of navy beans.
I love the fresh herbs in this recipe but you can always sub in dried if you don't have fresh on hand.
If you are looking for a cheese other than feta to try, parmesan works nicely.