Turkey Sloppy Joes are a healthy twist on traditional sloppy joes. You control the ingredients so you know exactly what you are eating!
Turkey Sloppy Joes
Today I am sharing a really easy recipe for Turkey Sloppy Joes that you can make in less than 20 minutes. This is perfect for a weeknight meal on those busy nights and makes great leftovers for the family. Pair this with a fresh vegetable, like this Lemon Parmesan Broccoli and a simple green salad and you have a quick meal on the table!
I remember as a child my mom would make sloppy joes from time to time. They were a simple dinner she could put on the table after a long day at work. I wanted to take that old recipe she made and put a healthier twist on them using ground turkey.
When I have a choice between ground beef and ground turkey when cooking I always go for the ground turkey. Mike would disagree with me on this one and was curious what these sloppy joes would taste like without ground beef but he really liked them. How do I know? Well he had a second helping, which means it is a winner.
If you are having a party or get together this summer, these Turkey Sloppy Joes would be a great meal to have alongside your other dishes. When football season rolls around these are also a nice tailgating or football watching food!
I like this recipe because you can control the ingredients by using your favorite BBQ sauce to spice it up. Turkey Sloppy Joes also freezes well for later so make a big batch! Over the past month I have had about 30 minutes or less to throw a meal on the table so recipes like this are great to have in my back pocket.
Turkey Sloppy Joes
These Turkey Sloppy Joes use 8 ingredients and are a healthy twist on traditional sloppy joes. You control the ingredients so you know exactly what you are eating!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground turkey, onion, and garlic and cook until the turkey is browned using the back of a wooden spoon to break it up, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Mix the tomato sauce, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, and Worcestershire into the turkey mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm sloppy joes on whole wheat buns with a side salad or coleslaw. I like to add shredded mozzarella cheese to the sloppy joes and heat them in the oven so the cheese melts.
Recipe from Real Simple
Want more dinner ideas? Check out my What’s for Dinner Pinterest Board!