This Easy Mediterranean Hummus Bowl is a great way to eat the rainbow! These bowls use healthy ingredients like brown rice, hummus, feta cheese, chickpeas, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, greens and fresh herbs. These hummus bowls are customizable and perfect for lunches or dinners for your family!
EASY MEDITERRANEAN HUMMUS BOWL
Each time a new year rolls around I love that the Mediterranean diet comes up as one of the healthiest diets.
I don’t look at the Mediterranean diet as a diet but more of a lifestyle and way of eating and living.
If you aren’t familiar with the Mediterranean diet it incorporates plant-based foods like whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts. The main source of fat for the Mediterranean diet is olive oil.
Fish, seafood, dairy, red meat and poultry are included in moderation.
Today I am partnering with Heinen’s to share one of my favorite ways to eat the Mediterranean way.
This Mediterranean Hummus Bowl is a rainbow of color and healthy ingredients.
I like to eat hummus bowls for lunch or dinner and the nice thing is that they are really customizable to what you have on hand.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN A HUMMUS BOWL?
- HUMMUS: Hummus is the star of this bowl. I love adding my own homemade hummus like this Easy Lebanese Hummus, Lemon Hummus or Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. You can also buy a store-bought hummus. I love the Heinen’s Roasted Red Pepper or the Garlic Hummus.
- BROWN RICE: I use brown rice for a healthier bowl but you can use any rice. Another great option is to use other grains like bulgur, farro or quinoa.
- CHICKPEAS: I love adding chickpeas to bowls like this but any beans will work great. You could also add lentils for some extra protein.
- SPICES: Za’atar and sumach are my favorite spices to sprinkle on a finished hummus bowl but you can leave that out or try a different spice.
- FETA CHEESE
- ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- KALAMATA OLIVES
- RED ONION
- ENGLISH CUCUMBER
- CHERRY TOMATOES
- GREEN ONIONS
- FRESH HERBS
HOW DO YOU MAKE A MEDITERRANEAN HUMMUS BOWL?
When it comes to making bowls like this hummus bowl it is all about layering ingredients and adding what you love.
To assemble your hummus bowls you will start by dividing the brown rice among the four bowls.
Then divide the chickpeas, roasted red pepper hummus, feta cheese, roasted red peppers, olives, red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, green onions and parsley among the bowls.
Sprinkle the za’atar or sumac on top of the hummus bow.
HOW CAN I MODIFY AN EASY MEDITERRANEAN HUMMUS BOWL?
BEANS: There are a lot of great options when it comes to adding beans to a bowl. Aside from chickpeas I especially love black beans or cannelini beans.
GREENS: Greens are a nice addition. You can add microgreens, spinach, arugula, swiss chard or a romaine lettuce.
CHEESE: I personally like feta cheese in this recipe but other great options are goat cheese or mozzarella cheese.
VEGETABLES: The sky is the limit when you add vegetables. Some that I like are radishes, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and sun-dried tomato.
GRAINS: If you don’t want to use brown rice you could use bulgur, farro, quinoa, barley or buckwheat in its place.
OTHER ADDITIONS: There are a lot of other great ingredients that work in these bowls. Try adding capers, banana peppers, pepperoncinis, artichokes or a bruschetta topping.
OTHER MEDITERRANEAN RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 1 container of Heinen's cooked brown rice
- 1 - 15 ounce can of Heinen's chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 10 ounce container for Heinen's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 cups of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup of kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup of chopped red onion
- 1/2 of a large english cucumber, diced
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups of greens of your choice
- 4-5 green onions, white and green parts chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Za'atar or sumac to sprinkle over your hummus bowl
- To assemble your hummus bowls you will start by dividing the brown rice among the four bowls.
- Then divide the chickpeas, roasted red pepper hummus, feta cheese, roasted red peppers, olives, red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, green onions and parsley among the bowls.
- Sprinkle the za'atar or sumac on top of the hummus bow.
You can modify these bowls to your tastes. You can switch the hummus to a different flavor.
I like to add other vegetables, a variety of olives or a different grain like bulgur or farro.