These Easy Scalloped Sweet Potatoes are a tasty twist on a classic sweet potato casserole. The scalloped sweet potatoes are layered up in a dish with some butter, then soaked in a sweet, heavy cream base, before being topped with crunchy pecans and marshmallows. This side dish is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
EASY SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES
Scalloped potatoes, similar to a sweet potato gratin, is a delicious recipe and despite appearances is really easy to prepare and cook.
My Roasted Scalloped Sweet Potatoes are more of an assembly job than anything else, layering the sweet potatoes with all the other tasty ingredients in this recipe.
I make my scalloped sweet potatoes without cheese, and instead use a sweet and spicy topping for them.
Cinnamon and a pinch of clove is added to brown sugar, cream and butter for the most amazing side.
Then I top the whole dish with some crunchy pecans.
Once baked, I then finish the dish by melting some mini marshmallows for a truly delicious and gooey topping.
This sweet and spicy variation makes for a great tasting sweet potato side dish that is the perfect addition for Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday table.
EASY SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES INGREDIENTS
POTATOES: I use sweet potatoes which I peel and slice into ½-inch thick slices using a mandoline slicer. Make sure to cut the sweet potato into similar size slices so it cooks evenly.
CREAM: Heavy cream is added to this dish, you could use light cream, but it won’t have the same creamy consistency. You could sub in whole milk or coconut milk.
SUGAR: Light brown sugar is sprinkled over the top of the potatoes, it has a great molasses flavor. If looking for substitutes, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup would be good alternatives.
BUTTER: The butter adds that extra rich, savory flavor to the sweet potatoes.
SPICES: I spice the dish with a combination of ground cinnamon and ground cloves. You could also use ground nutmeg.
NUTS: Chopped pecans are sprinkled over the top of the potatoes. You could also use chopped walnuts or almonds.
MARSHMALLOWS: Just before the end of the cook I sprinkle over mini marshmallow and broil them for a couple of minutes. This adds great sticky sweetness to the dish.
HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES
PREHEAT THE OVEN. Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
PREPARE THE SWEET POTATOES. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices. Then place the sliced sweet potatoes into the casserole dish and drizzle the heavy cream over the top evenly for a creamy sauce.
FLAVOR THE SWEET POTATOES. Now sprinkle the brown sugar around on top then put the slices of butter between the sliced potatoes.
Add some warming spices by sprinkling the cinnamon and cloves on top of the potatoes.
Add the pecans.
BAKE THE SWEET POTATOES. Place the casserole dish into the hot oven and bake for 55-65 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
Halfway through the cook, drizzle some of the sauce around on top of the potatoes so that the tops are fully cooked as well.
FINISH THE DISH. Once baked, remove the casserole dish from the oven.
Set the oven to broil then sprinkle the marshmallows on top of the potatoes and broil for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows are light and golden.
Keep an eye on the potatoes during this process being careful not to burn the marshmallows.
HOW TO SERVE SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES
This makes the perfect side dish for any weeknight and it makes a great addition to the weekend roast. Try it with my Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken, this Roast Beef Recipe, my Slow Cooker Mediterranean Whole Chicken or this Apple Cider Glazed Ham.
It is also the perfect side for holiday meals, try it with my Herb Butter Roasted Turkey.
WHAT ARE SCALLOPED POTATOES?
Scalloped potatoes can be made with regular potatoes, or sweet potatoes as I have done here. The potatoes are sliced, then layered up in a dish and baked in the oven in a milky/creamy sauce.
The potatoes can also be flavored, sometimes with savory flavors like fresh herbs, garlic and cheese. In this case, I’ve flavored the sweet potatoes with warming spices, light brown sugar and pecans.
ARE SWEET POTATOES HEALTHY?
Sweet potatoes not only taste great, but they are packed full of nutrients including beta-carotene, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C.
DO SWEET POTATOES NEED PARBOILING BEFORE ROASTING?
No, you don’t need to par boil the sweet potatoes before roasting them in this dish. They are cooked in a hot oven until tender.
RECIPE TIPS & MODIFICATIONS
- USE A SHARP KNIFE TO SLICE THE POTATOES, this will help you get even sized slices of potato. If you have a handheld mandolin, this is perfect for getting even slices of potato.
- TAKE CARE WITH THE SPICE of this dish and don’t be too heavy handed. Ground cloves have a strong flavor that can overpower, so only use the quantities suggested.
- DON’T WALK AWAY FROM THE BROILER when browning the marshmallows, otherwise you risk the marshmallows burning and becoming bitter.
- FEEDING A CROWD, no problem, this recipe can be easily doubled or tripled to cater for larger numbers.
- TO MAKE AHEAD, you can assemble the whole dish, up to the point of placing it into the oven to cook. Then cover with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook, baking within 2 days of preparation. When ready to bake, remove the dish from the refrigerator 30 minutes beforehand to allow the dish to come to room temperature, then bake in the hot oven and finish the recipe as directed in the recipe card.
- HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES? Once cooked and cooled, these scalloped sweet potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- CAN I FREEZE SCALLOPED SWEET POTATOES? No, I don’t recommend freezing this dish as neither sweet potatoes nor heavy cream freeze well.
- CHEESE is a nice addition. There are a lot types of cheeses you could try like gruyere cheese, monterey jack, cheddar cheese, goat cheese, parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese. The cheese pairs nicely in this savory dish. You will love this addition to your thanksgiving menu.
OTHER HOLIDAY SIDE DISHES YOU WILL LOVE:
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick slices
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of light brown sugar, packed
- 1 stick of butter, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ cup of chopped pecans
- 1 cup of mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the sliced sweet potatoes into the pan then drizzle the heavy cream over top evenly.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar around on top then put the slices of butter between the sliced potatoes.
Sprinkle the cinnamon and cloves around on top and follow it up with the pecans.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through. (Halfway through, drizzle some of the sauce around on top of the potatoes so that the tops are fully cooked as well.)
- Set the oven to broil then sprinkle the marshmallows on top and broil for 1-2 minutes or until the marshmallows are light and golden. (Keep an eye on the potatoes during this process being careful not to burn the marshmallows.)