Air Fryer Pita Chips not only taste great but they are golden brown and oh so crunchy! Made with only 2 simple ingredients and a little seasoning they can be ready in a matter of minutes. Ready to serve alongside any main meal, or to dip into a fresh tzatziki or your favorite creamy hummus.
AIR FRYER PITA CHIPS
Pita bread is a staple in my kitchen and something we eat and enjoy on a weekly basis.
However, I’m always looking at new ways to mix things up.
My family love the crunch of pita chips and in this post I show you just how easy it is to make Homemade Pita Chips in the Air Fryer in a matter of minutes.
If you don’t have an air fryer check out these Homemade Baked Pita Chips.
They make a great tasting, healthy snack on-the-go for kids and adults alike.
I hate to see any food going to waste and these pita chips are a great way of using up leftover pita bread that’s starting to go a little hard.
Freshly made pita chips taste so much better than anything you can buy in a store. Not only that, you can really play with flavors and customize them to suit your own palette.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO GET STARTED?
This recipe uses two simple ingredients.
PITA BREAD: I use 5 pita bread pockets to make a batch of pita chips. However, this recipe is easily doubled up if you are feeding a large group. I usually use pita bread, you can use any flatbread to make air fryer flatbread chips as well.
OIL: I prefer to use a good quality olive oil when making my pita chips, but you can use any light flavored oil.
SEASONING: Season with salt and pepper to taste and any spices you like.
HOW TO MAKE PITA CHIPS IN THE AIR FRYER:
PREHEAT THE AIR FRYER. Start by preheating the air fryer to 350F degrees.
PREPARE THE PITA BREAD. Cut each pita bread pocket into 6 triangles, brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
FRY THE PITA CHIPS. Place the pita chips into the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 5 minutes.
Take out the basket and toss to redistribute all pita chips. Cook for a further 2 minutes and they are ready to serve.
HOW CAN I MODIFY THIS PITA CHIP RECIPE?
I have kept this recipe simple with just a little seasoning, but they are really easy to customize to your own tastes. Here are some suggestions if you would like to mix things up:
- My favorite spices to use with pita chips are za’atar or sumac.
- Use curry powder for an Indian inspired version.
- Add a little garlic powder to make garlic pita bread in the air fryer.
- Try adding chili flakes for a spicy twist.
- Smoked paprika, cumin and a little pinch of chili powder make a great tasting chip.
- Sprinkle on some onion powder along with some dried herbs like parsley, basil, thyme or a blend of mixed herbs.
- Add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese for a savory cheese version.
- Don’t limit yourself to savory flavors, try making cinnamon sugar pita chips in the air fryer. Combine ground cinnamon with a light brown sugar sprinkle over.
CAN I MAKE BAKED PITA CHIPS IN THE OVEN?
Yes! I also make Pita Chips in the oven, they are so easy to bake and can be placed in the oven alongside any other dish you may have cooking already. Here is my recipe for Homemade Baked Pita Chips for those of you who don’t have an air fryer.
HOW TO STORE PITA CHIPS?
Once made, allow the pita chips to cool and store in an airtight container for a few weeks on the counter top. Although they rarely last that long in my kitchen!
- If you enjoy a lighter pita chip you can cut the pita bread in half through the middle, before cutting into triangles. They will work exactly the same, you will just have a thinner chip rather than a thicker one.
- Fry the pita chips in batches so they become crisp and golden. Do not be tempted to overload the basket or the chips won’t fry as well.
- To make Gluten Free Pita Chips replace regular pita bread with gluten free pita breads or flatbreads.
PITA CHIPS SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
I like to serve pita chips in a variety of different ways, they are really versatile and can be used on any dish where you would normally use pita bread.
They make a delicious addition to a meze platter.
I also really like adding them to rice and hummus bowls like this Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Hummus Bowls, Easy Mediterranean Hummus Bowl,Mediterranean Salmon Bowl, Greek Quinoa Bowls or these Mediterranean Buddha Bowls.
Adding pita chips on tops of salads is as that extra crunch is my favorite. A few salads I like to add them to is this Healthy Fattoush Salad, Mediterranean Bean Salad, Lemon Arugula Salad, Mediterranean Eggplant Salad or this Easy Lebanese Salad.
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- 5 Pita bread pockets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any spices you want to add: I like za'atar, sumach, Italian seasoning or paprika
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Cut each pita bread pocket into 6 triangles.
- Brush them on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper and any spices you like.
- Place into the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes shaking the basket periodically throughout cooking.
- Take out the basket and toss to redistribute all picta chips. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.